Thursday, December 19, 2013

Oatmeal Cookies

It's that time of year again.  When temperatures are down and stress levels are high. 

Here's a little of what I've had going on these past few weeks:
  • Elections for my sorority
  • Exams before my final exams (I took Organic Chemistry)
  • Working as much as possible
  • Figuring out what to do about Christmas presents
  • Final Exams and practicals
  • Still attempting to have some sort of social life
Somehow, even with everything I was doing, I managed to survive and took my very last final exam today!

To celebrate this awesome accomplishment I decided a little time in the kitchen was in order.

There's something about the basics that is comforting.  The basic peanut butter and jelly sandwich, the simple cheese pizza or the classic macaroni and cheese all have the power to satisfy and just make you feel better.

That's why I decided to go with these simple oatmeal cookies.  There is absolutely nothing fancy about them, and they're just perfect this way.


Oatmeal Cookies
Recipe Adapted From: Lil Luna

Ingredients
1 1/2 Sticks of unsalted butter, softened
1 1/2 Cups packed brown sugar (I used dark)
1 egg
2 tsp. vanilla
1 1/2 Cups flour
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
2 1/4 Cups oats (I used instant because that's what I had, but steel cut or old fashioned work too!)

Directions 
Preheat your oven to 325 degrees and place parchment paper on your cookie sheet.

Cream together the butter and brown sugar until it is light and fluffy.

Add the egg and vanilla and continue to beat until the ingredients are fully incorporated, about 1 minute.  

In a separate bowl, combine the dry ingredients.  

Pour the flour mixture over the butter mixture and mix until combined.  This step is sometimes better to do with a spoon to prevent over mixing.  

Add the oats and stir to combine so you do not break them up too finely.  

Drop tablespoon size portions onto the cookie sheet leaving about 2 inches in between.  

Bake for 10-12 minutes, until the edges start to brown.  let them cool for another minute or two on the pan before removing them.  



**These cookies are also great starter cookies!  You can add your favorite chocolate, nut, or berry to them to make them more your own!**

I hope you enjoy these cookies as much as I do!  Happy Holidays!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment