Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Deep Dish Oatmeal Chocolate Cookie Bars

One day (during class I'm sure) I was wasting time, as usual, on Pinterest and came across these delectable little treats. 

To me they looked like a little piece of heaven on earth.  I'm a little bit of an oatmeal freak.  (Let's face it, I'm just a food freak in general)  If a recipe has oatmeal in it then I have got to try it.

So last night, my friend Beth was going through my Pinterest board trying to decide what to make.  I was delighted when she chose these!


Deep Dish Oatmeal Chocolate Cookie Bars
Recipe Acquired From meganandclaudy.blogspot.com



 You will need:

For The Cookie Part
2 sticks of butter or margarine
2 eggs
2 1/2 Cups of flour (I used whole wheat)
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
2 Cups of brown sugar
2 tsp. vanilla 
1/3 Cup of milk
3 Cups of oatmeal
For The Chocolate Part
1 can of sweetened condensed milk (I used nonfat and it turned out fine!)
1/3 Cup of butter or margarine 
1 tsp. vanilla
2 Cups of chocolate chips (I used 1 Cup of dark chocolate and 1 Cup of milk)


Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Mix together the butter, eggs, and brown sugar.

Add in vanilla and milk.

Mix all the dry ingredients together, and slowly incorporate them into the wet ingredient mixture.

In a saucepan over medium heat mix together the sweetened condensed milk, butter, vanilla, and chocolate chips until fully melted together.  

When both parts are prepared, spread 3/4 of the cookie mixture over the bottom of a 9x13 pan.  Pour the chocolate mixture over the top, and then place spoonfuls of the leftover cookie mixture on top.  

Bake for 25-30 mintues, until the top starts to brown.

Make sure you let the bars cool almost completely before cutting into them or the chocolate will go everywhere!

**Next time I make this I'm going to try baking the bottom layer for 5-10 minutes before I cover with chocolate and top layer to make it more crunchy like**



No comments:

Post a Comment